Tue, Mar 29|
From Policies to Practice: Inclusive Leadership in Law Firms
Designed expressly for legal partners, this is an interactive, pragmatic, and tested webinar.
Time & Location
Mar 29, 2022, 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. EDT
About the Event
About the webinar:
Law firms are familiar with the benefits of a diverse workforce when attracting and representing clients. However, putting policies into action involves rethinking longstanding systems which have traditionally excluded members of diverse groups.
Having policies in place is one thing; however, partners must also dig deeper to look at individual and group behaviors that support the exclusion/inclusion of all employees. Although the legal profession exists to uphold law and justice, there is a contradiction in its translation into the workplace. Complaints of bullying, micro-aggressions, sexism and, inappropriate language cement the idea that law firms are still organized around an outdated “Old Boys’ Network.”
A more modern, respectful, and inclusive style of leadership is emerging, which attracts, retains, and grows the business. Inclusive leadership values the diversity of opinions, experiences, and approaches while challenging macro structures (systemic discrimination) and personal barriers (unconscious bias) that work together to prevent diverse groups from getting ahead and feeling included.
The webinar will explore how unconscious and conscious bias, systemic discrimination, bullying, and
harassment are no longer to be tolerated as they impede modernization and
innovation. It will challenge participants to see how inclusive individual and corporate responses
can benefit each employee, the clients, and the overall business in the long run. Special consideration
will be given to sexism in law firms and sexual harassment.
In this webinar, you will:
- Evaluate the benefits of applying a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion model/lens that encourages the recruitment, retention, and promotion of diverse talent.
- Recognize and understand the role of unconscious/implicit bias in creating workplace inequities.
- Learn and explore specific policies, programs, and behaviors that support an inclusive law firm.
- Work through case studies and discuss solutions for inequitable workplace situations.
- Research findings on lawyer stereotypes and the advantages of challenging the status quo to improve client outcomes and lawyer satisfaction.
- The concept of mirrortocracy versus a DEI model
- How dismantling bias is a professional obligation
- Sexism in law firms
- Defining micro-aggressions and their negative impact
- Common micro-aggressions faced by women, women of colour, people with disabilities, Indigenous pp, LGBT, and more
- Inclusive Leadership behaviours, including inclusive language
- mini-presentations, group discussion, videos, breakout groups with case studies
Participants will receive a resource book and webinar handouts.
NOTE: This training is also available for individual workplaces. Contact us for corporate pricing.
- Overall, it was very good
- The speaker was very engaging and very receptive to any and all comments from
- The topics had a direct link to the management of the firm in general and the interactions
we have on a daily basis with members of our firm
- The fact that the presentation was orientated to the legal profession made it very
engaging instead of speaking of theoretical areas that may otherwise be, for lack of a
better word, repetitive.
- This presentation was directed at us instead of the feeling that we were being talked
down to or over.
This ticket includes a webinar, resource book and handouts