Tue, Apr 25|
Communicating Effectively Across Cultures
A practical online workshop will leave you feeling more confident to communicate when there are cultural differences and language barriers.
Time & Location
Apr 25, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. EDT
About the Event
Are you struggling to get your message across to someone who may have a language barrier?
Would you like to learn ways to communicate more clearly, in person, over the phone and in writing to be understood by clients and employees with basic English skills?
In this interactive workshop, you will learn new skills and gain tools to deliver and receive messages resulting in a more equitable, inclusive, and engaging experience for all.
As a result of attending this training, you will:
- Know how to assess whether a language barrier exists
- Identify several ways of checking for understanding
- Gain an appreciation for clear language and how and when to use it
- Receive tips for comprehending familiar accents
- Find ways to communicate over the phone, email and in person
When our most recent participants were asked what they liked most about the workshop, they said:
- I especially appreciated the specific examples provided, tailored to the particular accents or languages community members may have or primarily speak.
- Having time in breakout groups to engage with other participants was helpful to compare notes on what we learned.
- The discussion amongst the group was good
- strategies and coping barriers discussion
- I liked understanding the difference between language barrier and accent.
- The responses to questions asked.
- Pronunciation patterns and the three R's. I appreciated all the strategies to improve communication.
- Tips for communicating more effectively with individuals with language barriers. Resources.
"I really enjoyed this learning opportunity. I hope it becomes mandatory for all municipal employees."